The Mexican self-isolated from the rest of the paddock on Thursday after an initial test was again “inconclusive,” his Racing Point team said, before a test again confirmed he had the coronavirus.
“With the assistance of the local organizer of the British Grand Prix, the local health authorities and the FIA COVID-19 delegate, a comprehensive tracking initiative has been launched and all close contacts have been quarantined. “F1 and FIA said in a statement. .
“The procedures established by the FIA and Formula 1 have provided for a quick containment of an incident that will not have a wider impact on this weekend’s event.”
Perez will remain isolated for ten days, according to UK guidelines, which also ruled him out of the weekend’s Grand Prix on the same track.
Racing Point says its “intention is to race two cars on Sunday” and has been widely reported that former F1 driver Niko Hulkenberg, who raced for Renault as recently as last season, could temporarily take over the empty seat of the equipment.
An agreement with Mercedes means Racing Point can also ask reserve drivers for the silver arrows Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez.
Once bitter for Pérez who has started the season impressively, he is currently in sixth place thanks to a much improved Racing Point car.
“Sergio is physically well and in a good mood, but will continue to self-isolate under the guidance of the relevant public health authorities, with safety the top priority for the team and the sport,” Racing Point said in a communicated this Friday.
The 30-year-old is the first driver to test positive for coronavirus since the delayed and shortened season began earlier this month.
Racing Point has also moved a small group of team members who were in contact with Pérez to self-isolate as a precaution and retry them, a team spokesman confirmed to F1.