Nick Kyrgios will not compete at the U.S. Open amid worries about coronavirus

Nick Kyrgios will not compete at the U.S. Open amid worries about coronavirus

Then, at the start of the U.S. Open, which is scheduled to begin in New York on August 31, fellow Australian Ashleigh Barty, who said earlier this week he would not compete in what will be the second grand slam of the year.
“We take a breath here and remember what’s important, which is health and safety as a community,” Kyrgios said in a video posted by Uninterruptedly.

“We can rebuild our sport and the economy, but we will never be able to regain lost lives.

“I’m not going to play in the US Open this year. It hurts me in my core not to be there competing in one of the biggest areas of the sport, Arthur Ashe Stadium.

“But I’m settled for the people, for my Australians, for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost their lives, for all of you.”

Kyrgios added that he has no problem with the organizers organizing the tournament or with players competing and acting “properly” and “safely”.

Still, it seemed so continues his critique of the Adria tour, after which a number of players, including world number one Djokovic, tested positive for Covid-19.

“Tennis players, you have to act in each other’s interest and work together,” Kyrgios said.

“You can’t dance at tables, grab money for Europe or try to earn yourself a good show with exposure.

“That’s so selfish.”

READ: Serena Williams helps donate 4.25 million face masks to schools
Adria’s tour was scheduled to take place in four Balkan cities from June 13 to July 5, but was canceled when Djokovic, his wife Jelena, three other players, three coaches and a pregnant woman with one player tested positive for the virus.
After his positive test, Djokovic apologized for causing harm and said the events had been organized “to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons.”
World No. 3 Dominic Thiem, who competed in the Adria Tour, also defended Djokovic. commenting on CNN Sport last month that the facts “did not break any law.”
Strict measures have been proposed by the organizers for the US Open to take place, including the idea of ​​creating a bubble for players at an airport hotel in Manhattan (where most players are) and restricting the numbers of the entourage to just one.

The first WTA tournament since March is set to begin preparations for the U.S. Open on Monday.

It was announced one player was positive for coronavirus ahead of the Palermo Open Ladies, but that the tournament would still go ahead as planned.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *