Ahead of an English Premier League match on Sunday, Zaha wrote on Twitter, “Wake up to date”, then showed what had been posted by a user who appeared to be Palace’s rival in Sunday’s match, Aston Villa.
“Better not tap black c ** t tomorrow. Or I’ll come home dressed as a ghost,” the person wrote.
There was an image accompanying the Ku Klux Klan and a box of cereal called “c ** n flakes.”
Crystal Palace called the abuse “absolute disgrace” on Twitter and said it “shouldn’t happen.”
Aston Villa then retweeted the statement from the London club, which has promised to give a lifetime ban to the person who posted the abuse.
“We regret the disgusting racist messages sent to @wilfriedzaha. We condemn all forms of racial discrimination and are facing @CPFC,” wrote the Birmingham-based club in central England.
“We are working with the police to investigate this extremely serious matter and when the culprit is identified, AVFC will issue a lifetime ban.”
Later that day, West Midlands police announced on Twitter that they had made an arrest – of an individual’s ban on his life could be very long.
“We have been alerted to a series of racist messages sent to a footballer today and after looking at them and checking, we have arrested a boy. The 12-year-old from #Solihull has been taken into custody. Thank you to everyone who they have raised Racism will not be tolerated, “police tweeted.
Premier League statement
The Premier League, widely regarded as the most watched football league in the world, also condemned the offender’s actions.
“This behavior is completely unacceptable and the Premier League is on the side of @wilfriedzaha to oppose this and discrimination in any way. There is #NoRoomForRacism, anywhere,” he tweeted.
“We will continue to support players, managers, coaches and their family members who receive serious discriminatory abuse online. Through our dedicated reporting system we can act immediately on cases like this.”
Late last month, the league launched the system that would “allow players, managers and coaches to notify you” of serious discriminatory abuse ”received through direct messages on social media platforms.
“Each case will be reviewed, communicated to the social media company, investigation and legal action as appropriate,” the league said.
Speaking before the Villa game, Palace director Roy Hodgson said the person’s actions were “cowardly” and “despicable”. He praised Zaha for making himself public.
“It’s very sad on a match day for a player to wake up to this cowardly and despicable abuse,” Hodgson told Sky.
“I think it’s right for Wilf to be aware of that. I don’t think it’s something he should keep quiet about.
“I think it’s very good that our club, Aston Villa and the Premier League are doing their best to find out who this despicable individual is and we can only wait for them to identify themselves and be called to account and do so. pay for these actions.
“There’s literally no excuse. There’s no excuse.”
Zaha was racially abused last year and said he received death threats after winning a penalty for the Palace against Arsenal in October 2018.
“Football is very different from what it was in the 1970s, racism is not as endemic as it was in the 70s,” Sanjay Bhandari said. “For a period of 40, 50 years? We certainly have it [made progress]. But it’s worse than it was five years ago and it’s worse than it was seven years ago. “
Kick It Out said on Twitter on Sunday: “We are extremely disappointed that Wilf Zaha has once again been the target of objective racial abuse.”
“Those who continue to select professional athletes in this way, must be brought to justice and face the strongest consequences.”